Posting date: January 8th, 2024
Position: Museum Assistant
Status: Part-time, 24 hours per week, $11.00 per hour
Historic Ramsey House (HRH), located near Knoxville, Tennessee, is seeking a Museum Assistant. Built in 1797 for Colonel Francis Alexander Ramsey, the HRH stone house was once called the “finest home in Tennessee'' and boasts architectural features uncommon on the East Tennessee frontier. Today, over 100 acres of original farmland are preserved, providing a unique backdrop for interpreting HRH residents, where the Ramsey Family greatly impacted the civic, educational, and cultural landscape of Knoxville and her Volunteer State.
HRH is a chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities. Additional information about HRH is available at http://www.ramseyhouse.org.
The Museum Assistant reports to the Executive Director of HRH and is responsible for assisting with all aspects of operations which include but are not limited to:
- Opening and preparing for conducting daily tours for visitors, as wells as school groups and special events
- Checking, answering and forwarding emails as needed, and answering the phones
- Coordinating Volunteer assignments, and ensuring special events / tours are staffed properly
- Conducting Gift Shop sales, and assisting with all shop operations
- Advertising events to newspapers and community calendars
- Assisting with research and learning the history of HRH Residents, customs of the time period, and artifacts
- Assisting in all aspect of preparing, breaking down and running events
- Helping clean all HRH Structures (bathrooms, mopping, sweeping, de-cobwebbing, etc)
- Assisting in archiving Ramsey House collections and preservation of said collections
- Maintaining a professional demeanor and presentation as one of the public faces of the Museum
- Performing other duties as assigned
A Bachelor's degree preferred, preferably in history, museum studies, education, or related field; however, the search committee will consider applicants with relevant experience. The successful applicant will also be creative, energetic, self-directed, an adept planner, deadline-oriented, and comfortable representing HRH in various public settings. Required proficiencies include Google Suite, social media platforms. Experience using Square, Omeka and Fareharbor is a plus.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references, to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Historic Ramsey House is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization.